Consulting editor of Systematic Entomology
B.Sc. (Hons) Biology, University of London, U.K.
Ph.D Entomology, University of London, U.K.
Systematics, ecology and biogeography of Chironomidae (non-biting midges).
Publications (July 2016)
Publications cited in order recent to earliest; numerous older book reviews omitted
pdf – link to html or pdf file available on web, click on link.
Trond Andersen, Peter S. Cranston & John H. Epler (Eds) (2013) Chironomidae of the Holarctic Region: Keys and Diagnoses. Part 1. Larvae. Insect Systematics and Evolution Supplements 66: 1-571. Purchase from Ent. scand site.
P.J. Gullan and P.S. Cranston (2010) Insects: An Outline of Entomology, 4th edition. Wiley-Blackwell, 584 pp.
*P.J. Gullan and P.S. Cranston (2004) Insects: An Outline of Entomology, 3rd edition. Blackwell Science, 505 pp.
*Peter Cranston (1996) Identification Guide to the Chironomidae of New South Wales.. AWT Identification Guide Number 1. Australian Water Technologies Pty Ltd, West Ryde, NSW. pp. 376. Paper only: superceded by Electronic Guide to The Chironomidae of Australia, see below.
*P.S. Cranston. (ed.) (1995) Chironomids: from Genes to Ecosystems, CSIRO, Melbourne, pp. 482.
*P. Armitage, P.S. Cranston and L.C.V. Pinder (eds.) (1994) Chironomidae: Biology and Ecology of Non-biting Midges, Chapman and Hall, London, Glasgow, New York, Tokyo, Melbourne, Madras, pp. 572.
*P.J. Gullan and P.S. Cranston. (1994) Insects: An Outline of Entomology, 1st edition. Chapman and Hall, London, Glasgow, New York, Tokyo, Melbourne, Madras, pp. 450.
- *Gunn, B., Trueman, J.W.H., Dimitriadis, S. & Cranston, P.S. (1999) Interactive Guide to Australian Aquatic Invertebrates, Windows Edition 2. CSIRO Entomology, Canberra, now only web available, url.
- *J.W.H. Trueman, W. Lee, E.M. Bugledich, I.A. Reid, B.G.L. McKie & P.S. Cranston. (1996) Key to Australian Aquatic Invertebrates - Windows version 1.0. CSIRO Entomology, Canberra.
Cranston, P.S. (2010) Lucid key to Larval Chironomidae Verify you have installed recent Java url
*Gunn, B., Trueman, J.W.H., Dimitriadis, S. & Cranston, P.S. (1999) Interactive Guide to Australian Aquatic Invertebrates, Windows Edition 2. CSIRO Entomology, Canberra, url.
Bugledich, E.M. & Cranston, P.S. (1999) "Family Chironomidae" in Zoological Catalogue of Australia, 30.1, ABRS, Canberra. 627 pp. Web-available updated, Cranston, P.S. (2004)
Reviews, obituaries and the like
- Antenna. Madagascan 'wild' silk. July 2016
- Fly Times. Confirmatory bias and photographing the difference. December 2015
- Antenna, A dyeing business ? Canary Cochineal Insects, December 2014
- Antenna. Meeting report: Virtual Scale Issues. February 2014
- Obituary for Donald Henry Colless 1933-2012, with DK Yeates ZooTaxa June 2013
- Banksia. Report on Southern Connections meeting, Dunedin, January 2013
- Fly Times. Farewell from a grumpy editor. November 2012
- Myrmecia. Opinion to AES members, Don Colless obituary, 2012
- Antenna: Australasian bugs, 2012
- Antenna: Obituary for Paul Freeman, 2011
- Chironomus: Appreciations for Arthur Harrison and Paul Freeman, 2010
- Antenna: Report of Southern Connections Bariloche meeting 2010
- California Dept Water on Hydrobaenus saetheri discovery November 2008
- Sacramento Bee on Hydrobaenus saetheri May 2008
- Reviews of chironomid keys - Systematic Entomology January 2008
- Systematic Entomology editorial, January 2008
- Review of Madeira Chironomidae meeting, Antenna June 2007
- Systematic Entomology editorial, April 2006
- Book review: 'Time Flies ?'; Grimaldi & Engel's Evolution of the Insects, Dec 2005
- Systematic Entomology editorial, April 2005
- Systematic Entomology editorial, January 2004
- Systematic Entomology editorial, 'Which side of the tree is most basal', July 2004
- Book review, Andersen & Weir, Australian Aquatic bugs
- Systematic Entomology editorial, April 2004
- Obituary for Loic Matile
- Book review, Maschwitz, Nearctic Polypedilum
- Book review, Oosterzee, Worlds colliding
- Book review, Sasa & Kikuchi, Japanese Chironomidae
#180. Cranston, P.S. (2016). Conochironomus (Diptera: Chironomidae) in Asia: new and redescribed species and vouchering issues. Zootaxa 4109: 315–331. http://doi.org/10.11646/zootaxa.4109.3.3 (open access) pdf
#179. Cranston, P.S., Martin, J. & Spies, M. (2016) Cryptic species in the nuisance midge Polypedilum nubifer (Skuse) (Diptera: Chironomidae) and the status of Tripedilum Kieffer. ZooTaxa 4079: 429-44. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/zootaxa.4079.4.3 (open access). pdf
#178. Cranston, P.S. & Krosch, M.N. (2015) Molecules and morphology include the informal taxon ‘Genus Chile’ in Podonomopsis Brundin (Chironomidae: Podonominae). Invertebrate Systematics 29: 610-627. DOI: 10.1071/